I previously made a post comparing the telco’s SIM-only plan against their regular plans. After showing it to many of my colleagues, many were interested to know if the plans were comparable after factoring in the recontract period and corporate discounts. Since MyRepublic just came out with their new plans, I figured that it deserves another look to see which is better (also because 1 of my phone plan is coming due soon).
For this exercise, I’ve prepared some parameters to make it a near similar comparison and all the plans are calculated to Price/Gb/month. This means that the lesser you pay per Gb per month, the more value you are getting.
- Data is more important than anything else.
- A corporate discount of 30% is used if applicable to the plan.
- Talk time, SMSes and promotional/weekend data are excluded from the comparison.
- Must have some degree of talk time although remarks will state if additional purchase for SMS is required.
- Plans with no contract will be adjusted to 20 months to make it similar to the shortest recontract period.
- 12months SIM-only contracts are adjusted to 24 months as it is closest to 20 months.
- A new and sealed Samsung S9 64Gb (with a 1-year warranty) from the telco or reputable Carousell sellers with a physical shop (currently available at $840) is used for the phone comparison portion.